March 8, 2011

The Devotion of Suspect X


The Devotion of Suspect X by Keigo Higashino

(translated by Alexander O. Smith with Elye J. Alexander)
Mystery/Thriller
2011 Minotaur Books
Finished 2/26/11
Rating: 2.5/5 (Average)
FTC Disclosure: Received ARC via B&N


Publisher’s Blurb:

One of today’s most sophisticated and brilliantly crafted literary thrillers.

She’s a single mother with blood on her hands. It was a murder that should have never happened. Without hesitation her enigmatic neighbor, a brilliant math teacher whose devotion towards her runs deep, calculates the perfect alibi. When evidence doesn’t add up for the authorities, the lead detective seeks the advice of his friend, a brilliant physicist, who knows the math genius from his past. What ensues is a fierce battle of wits.

How far will one mastermind go for love and the other for truth?

And how long must one woman feel indebted to her protector when her heart lies with another?

Discover Keigo Higashino as he delivers his first major English publication.
Higashino is Japan’s biggest bestselling novelist.

The Devotion of Suspect X won the prestigious Naoki Prize for Best Novel—the equivalent of the National Book Award. More than 2 million copies have sold in Japan. The blockbuster motion picture spent 4 weeks at the top of the box office in Asia.

In Japan, Higashino has assumed an almost iconic status. He and Haruki Murakami are often cited in tandem as the two major writers that a general reader would be expected to know immediately, like Stephen King or James Patterson. (Marilyn Dahl, Shelf Awareness)

And my reaction? Meh. I really didn’t care for the writing, characters or plot, but once I hit the halfway mark, I decided to keep going. I cared enough to see how the book was going to end, but overall I felt like I wasted my time.

Wendy, of Musings of a Bookish Kitty, enjoyed this thriller quite a bit more than I did; so much so that it made her top ten crime fiction list for 2010. You can find her review here.

7 comments:

  1. I'm with Wendy, I also really enjoyed this book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry this was a stinker for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm....two book bloggers that I respect..two different thoughts on this one. I may try it...but then again I may not!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Higashino is Japan’s biggest bestselling novelist." Who knew?! Not I! :) It's interesting to me that you found the writing, characters and plot less than thrilling; it took me awhile to get into this (Japanese) genre, but once there? Hooked for life. I'll have to try this one, thanks for bringing his name to my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam - Did you post a review? I'd love to read your thoughts on the book.

    Kathy - It wasn't terrible... just not one of the best books I've read in a long time.

    Staci - Oh, go for it! You may wind up loving it. If I didn't like it a little bit, I would've quit. That's saying something, right?

    Bellezza - Yes, you'll have to try it. I'll be anxious to see what you think since you've become quite the expert on Japanese lit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:40 AM

    I haven't read this book yet but have heard nothing but good things about it. I found your blog from the Maggie Reads blogroll and an enjoying going back and reading all of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Violette - I hope, if you get a chance to read it, you enjoy it better than I did!

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!