July 31, 2016

Anya's Ghost


Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol
Graphic Novel
2011 First Second Books
Finished on February 24, 2016
Rating: 2/5 (Fair)

Publisher's Blurb:

Anya could really use a friend. But her new BFF isn't kidding about the "forever" part . . .

Of all the things Anya expected to find at the bottom of an old well, a new friend was not one of them. Especially not a new friend who's been dead for a century.

Falling down a well is bad enough, but Anya's normal life might actually be worse. She's embarrassed by her family, self-conscious about her body, and she's pretty much given up on fitting in at school. A new friend―even a ghost―is just what she needs.

Or so she thinks.

Spooky, sardonic, and secretly sincere, Anya's Ghost is a wonderfully entertaining debut graphic novel from author/artist Vera Brosgol.






Meh. I didn't care for the art in this one as much as Jillian Tamaki's in This One Summer. The plot was alright, but again, a little juvenile. Really wondering if graphic novels are my thing.

Final Thoughts: 

While I didn't fall in love with Verga Brosgol's book, it appears that it's a winner with many other readers! It's also a very quick read, so maybe give it a try, if you're curious.


  • Bram Stoker Award Nominee for Best Graphic Novel (2011)
  • School Library Journal Best Book of the Year (2011)
  • Harvey Awards for Best Original Graphic Publication For Younger Readers (2012)
  • Boston Globe-Horn Book Award (2011)
  • Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards for Best Publication for Young Adults (ages 12-17) (2012)
  • Cybils Award for Graphic Novels (Young Adult) (2011)
  • Kirkus Best Teen Book of the Year (2011)

8 comments:

  1. Sorry this wasn't better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe try Maus or Persepolis? They are more adult subject matter and maybe will connect with you better. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, I've read Maus and thought it was very good. I still want to try some of Lucy Knisley's books.

      Delete
  3. Sorry this one wasn't a winner for you. At least the good thing is graphic novels are usually quick reads :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, that's why I keep trying them. I can read them during my lunch breaks and feel like I can finish one in just a day or two. Still, since I'm not really into them, I shouldn't bother. Maybe I'll try some memoirs or history graphic novels. I know they're out there.

      Delete
  4. When you have this kind of reaction to a book so many praise, don't you wonder if you've missed something? I always feel like maybe I didn't "get" something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, yes! Exactly! But then, I don't care for other genres, so I'm not sure why I'm forcing this particular type of book on myself.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!