August 25, 2016

Looking Back - The Celestine Prophecy


Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield
Fiction
1994 Grand Central Publishing
Finished on August 25, 1996
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good!)

Publisher's Blurb:

The Celestine Prophecy contains secrets that are currently changing our world. Drawing on ancient wisdom, it tells you how to make connections among the events happening in your own life right now...and lets you see what is going to happen to you in the years to come!

A book that has been passed from hand to hand, from friend to friend, since it first appeared in small bookshops across America, The Celestine Prophecy is a work that has come to light at a time when the world deeply needs to read its words. The story it tells is a gripping one of adventure and discovery, but it is also a guidebook that has the power to crystallize your perceptions of why you are where you are in life...and to direct your steps with a new energy and optimism as you head into tomorrow.

My Original Notes (1996):

What a great book! I didn't want to stop reading it! I couldn't decide if I truly believed in the "9 insights," though. I was very skeptical at first, but then (as coincidences began to occur in my own life), I began to think maybe it was all possible. Toward the end, I decided it was a very good fable, but not realistic. New Age, mystical stuff. Discussing it with my reading group. Should provoke stimulating discussions!


My Current Thoughts:

I remember the summer I read this book and now I'm almost embarrassed to admit how much I enjoyed it. I don't think I went on to read the sequel and I'll bet I wouldn't be as impressed with this book if I were to read it today.

Have you read any of Redfield's mystical books? What did you think?

4 comments:

  1. I remember this book...vaguely. I guess I remember seeing it lying on the pool table more than I remember its contents. I constantly stand in awe of your long standing reading journal. Bullet Journalers jave nothing on you! Seriously. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith, I remember reading a big chunk of it when I was at Kansas City Oceans of Fun. Or maybe it was Worlds of Fun. Either way, I didn't get on any roller coasters and opted to sit in the shade and read while the kids were off playing in the water or getting on insane rides. Not for me!

      Thanks for your nice words about my reading journals. This is a fun way to put all of those entries out there into the ether. :)

      Delete
  2. Nothing wrong with having enjoyed it! If you did, you did. Our reading tastes do certainly change over time don't they? I never got around to this one but I remember I had it on my "wish list" for a long time when it was all the rage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you're right Iliana. If I enjoyed it back then, who cares if it's beneath my standards in 2016, right? I know my standards have changed quite a bit in the past 20 years, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has matured with regard to their reading choices. :)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!