August 11, 2016

Looking Back - The Sound of Waves


Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



The Sound of Waves by Yukio Mishima
Fiction
1994 Vintage Books
Finished on August 4, 1996
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good!)

Publisher's Blurb:

Set in a remote fishing village in Japan, The Sound of Waves is a timeless story of first love. It tells of Shinji, a young fisherman, and Hatsue, the beautiful daughter of the wealthiest man in the village. Shinji is entranced at the sight of Hatsue in the twilight on the beach, upon her return from another island, where she had been training to be a pearl diver. They fall in love, but must then endure the calumny and gossip of the villagers.

My Original Notes (1996):

Very good! Beautifully written. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. A quick read, also.

Some of the dialogue seemed simplistic, maybe due to the translation?

My Current Thoughts:

Yikes. I have no recollection, good or bad, about this novel.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you'd read this book, probably since it was pre-blog. I loved it. I remember it as a sweet love story. Still have my copy on the shelves. I only have vague visual images from the book (but I read it much more recently than you did).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I wish I could remember what it was about! 20 years is a long time, but you'd think if I loved it, I'd remember something about the book. ;)

      Delete
  2. I've read quite a few Japanese authors but no Mishima yet! I do love the cover on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I haven't read anything else by him, but he wrote The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea (which was also a movie). Yes, the cover is very pretty.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!